What is Laser Lipolysis?
Laser Lipolysis or Liposculpture is a new, safe form of laser liposuction that can really change your body, almost instantly.
LipoSculpt uses a mild low laser (or cold laser) treatment to reduce your body’s fat. It is not cosmetic surgery. It’s non-invasive: there are no needles or injections.
It’s painless and you don’t need to take any time off of work afterwards. LipoSculpt gives you the results of liposuction without the surgery.
How LipoSculpt Treatment Works
The LipoSculpt emits low levels of laser energy and penetrates the skin, this makes the fat cells “sweat” water, glycerol and free fatty acids. The fat cell shrinks and the lymphatic system removes the fatty liquids through the body’s natural metabolic function and these are used by the body as an energy source.
They are then processed in the same way as fatty foods are digested, the procedure gives a healthy and safe inch loss.
The process does not affect the neighbouring structures such as skin, blood vessels and peripheral nerves.
The LipoSculpt treatment does not harm the body in any way as the fat cells are left intact, the body will still maintain its ability to store fat in the areas that have been targeted. This will prevent fat being stored in different parts such as around the heart or vital organs so is an important factor.
Clients who maintain a healthy diet and moderate exercise regime will retain the benefits of the LipoSculpt treatment and maintain their body shape.
Laser Slimming Treatment
Following the completion of a medical questionnaire:
- The targeted fatty area will be accurately measured.
2. Up to Eight large Diode Laser paddles will be placed on the targeted fatty areas and secured with a Velcro belt.
3. Two or Four smaller Probe Lasers will be placed over the appropriate lymphatic glands and held in place.
4. The LipoSculpt will then be switched on for up to 40 minutes.
5. The treated areas will now be re-measured to assess the inch loss achieved. On average one can expect to see a reduction of between 0.5 and 3 inches (1.25 – 8cm).
6. In order to increase the body’s ability to remove the broken down fat cells, it is necessary to assist the natural process by increasing the metabolic rate. This can be achieved in a number of ways e.g. 30 minutes cardio vascular exercise such as brisk walking, running or the use of a vibration plate machine for about 10 minutes.
After LipoSculpt treatment we recommend any light to moderate exercise and a high protein diet has proved to achieve very good results.
What areas can be treated?
- Hips (Love handles) or (Muffin Top)
- Upper back fat
- Lower back fat
- Arms (under biceps) or (Bingo Wings)
- Baby bulge (Mummy Tummy)
- Double Chins
- Above knee areas
- Male breasts (Moobs)
- Inch Loss Skin Tightening
- Cellulite reduction
- Skin rejuvenation
- Stretch Marks
- Pre/Post liposuction contouring*
(*Requires surgeon referral)
The Science Bit
The LipoSculpt emits low levels of laser energy, which penetrates the skin to a depth of approximately 9mm. This is just deep enough to reach the subcutaneous fat layer.
The membranes (cell walls) of the fat cells (known as Adipocytes) are disrupted and develop tiny pores (holes) releasing the contents into the space between the fat cells (the interstitial space).
The contents of the fat cells (fatty acids, triglycerides and water) spill out from the broken cell membranes and are released into the interstitial space. This mechanism of action is not “liquefaction of fat”, it is the instant emptying out of the cells rather than the destruction of them. (referred to as lipolysis).
The intra-cellular fat causes the cell to lose its round shape by changing the permeability of the cell membrane. This does not affect the neighbouring structures such as skin, blood vessels and peripheral nerves.
You then undertake some form of (preferably cardio vascular) exercise to raise your heart rate, therefore increase your metabolic rate.
Your body will use the fuel available in your bloodstream, which includes the fatty acids and triglycerides released by the Lipo Laser treatments.
Once the “fuel” in the bloodstream has been used up your liver will begin to target the remaining fat deposits (starting with those most easily broken down – the treated areas) for further “fuel”.
Therefore, the more exercise you undertake between treatments, the better your results will be.
LipoSculpt is a fantastic means of reminding your body about those long dormant fat deposits that no amount of exercise seems to be able to target.
Can I be treated?
If you are a healthy adult over the age of 18 and capable of performing a little regular exercise to burn off the “fuel” released by the treatments, the answer is usually a resounding “YES”!!!
However, there are some medical conditions (referred to as “Contraindications”) that mean you CANNOT be treated.
This is in the best interest of your health and to ensure there are no complications with your condition, people with the following conditions cannot be treated:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Heart problems
- Radiation sickness or receiving radiation therapies
- Any form of cancer (even if in remission)
- Immune suppressed disorders
- If you are pregnant
- If you are currently breast feeding
- Diabetes (type 1 – insulin dependent)
- Any dysfunction of the nervous system (e.g. muscular sclerosis, Parkinsons disease, motor neuron disease)
- Bell palsy
- Have a photosensitive skin disorder
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, you CAN be treated (with a signed disclaimer), but would strongly recommend you consult with your GP or consultant physician before commencing treatment.
- If you are an HIV carrier
- Diabetes (type 2)
- Recent surgery or minor operation (less than 6 weeks ago)
- Recent injury (awaiting treatment / surgery)
Why do you need a course of treatments?
The biological process that is set in motion and stimulated by the LipoSculpt treatments form a cycle.
This starts with the treatments, working with the exercise you undertake and your body’s natural processes. Over time, the effects diminish and you need another LipoSculpt treatment to maintain the cycle.
That said, once the course of treatments are finished, depending on your current fitness and diet regime there is no reason why your finished body sculpture should change.
We all have various times in a year where we over indulge for varying reasons, therefore, if you have a heavy social scene then (if required) you may find a maintenance program of one treatment a month or even just two or three a year will keep you in top sculptured shape.